An ice cube tray is a container, typically made of plastic or silicone, with multiple compartments designed to freeze water into individual ice cubes. Each compartment is shaped like a small cube or cylinder, allowing for the creation of uniform ice cubes.
- Cooling beverages: Ice cube trays are primarily used for making ice cubes to cool and chill beverages. The frozen ice cubes are added to drinks like water, soda, cocktails, or iced coffee to lower their temperature and provide a refreshing experience.
- Cocktail preparation: Ice cube trays are commonly used by mixologists and home bartenders to create specialty ice cubes for cocktails. This can include oversized ice cubes, spherical ice balls, or flavored ice cubes that enhance the visual appeal and taste of the drinks.
- Freezing herbs or stock: Ice cube trays can be used to freeze fresh herbs, such as chopped mint or basil, in water or olive oil for later use in recipes. They can also be used to freeze homemade stocks or broths, allowing for easy portioning and future use in cooking.
- Making frozen treats: Ice cube trays can be used to create small frozen treats, such as fruit puree popsicles or chocolate-covered ice cubes. The compartments in the tray provide the perfect size and shape for these miniature treats.
- Portion control for cooking: Ice cube trays can be utilized for portioning and freezing ingredients like homemade sauces, pesto, or baby food. Each compartment serves as a single portion, making it convenient to defrost and use the desired amount when needed.