A stainless steel turner is a kitchen utensil with a long handle and a flat, wide head, typically made of stainless steel material. It is designed for flipping, lifting, and turning various types of food during cooking.
- Scraping and deglazing: The turner utensil can be used to scrape the bottom of a pan to loosen and collect flavorful browned bits, also known as fond. These can be incorporated into sauces or gravies for added depth of flavor.
- Flattening and smashing: A turner utensil with a flat and sturdy head can be used for flattening or smashing ingredients like burgers, meatballs, or potatoes. This helps achieve even cooking and creates a desirable texture.
- Spreading and icing: The flat head of a turner utensil can be used for spreading icing or frosting on cakes and other baked goods. It provides a smooth and even layer for a professional-looking finish.
- Griddle cooking: Turner utensils are often used on griddles or flat cooking surfaces, such as for making pancakes, quesadillas, or grilled sandwiches. The flat head allows for easy flipping and turning of the food.
- Draining excess oil: When removing fried foods from a pan or deep fryer, a turner utensil can be used to hold the food against the side of the pan to drain excess oil before transferring it to a plate or serving dish. This helps reduce greasiness and ensures a better texture.