A microwave cover refers to a kitchen accessory designed to cover food or containers during microwave heating or reheating. It is typically constructed from microwave-safe materials such as plastic, glass, or silicone and serves to protect the microwave and the food being cooked.
- Splatter containment: The primary function of a microwave cover is to prevent food splatters inside the microwave, keeping the interior clean and minimizing the need for extensive cleaning after each use.
- Steam trapping: A microwave cover helps trap steam released from the food, aiding in moisture retention and preventing dryness or dehydration during the heating process.
- Heat distribution: By covering food with a microwave cover, it helps distribute the heat more evenly throughout the food, reducing the likelihood of unevenly heated areas.
- Avoiding food explosions: Some microwave covers are equipped with vents or perforations that allow steam to escape gradually, preventing pressure buildup and potential food explosions.
- Convenience and versatility: A microwave cover is a versatile accessory that can be used with various types of microwave-safe containers, including plates, bowls, and microwave-safe glassware. It offers convenience in covering different sizes and shapes of food items for efficient heating.